sâmbătă, 25 septembrie 2010

NOBEL PRIZE: HERTA MULLER (GERMANY-ROMANIA)

 
“EVERY WORD KNOWS SOMETHING ABOUT THE DEVILISH CIRCLE"
- Speech uttered at the Award of Nobel Prize in Literature, Stockholm, 2009 -

     ‘Have you got any handkerchief?’ my mother used to ask me every morning at the house gate before I went out on the street. I had got none. And because I did not have it on me, I would go back to my room again and I would take one. I never had the handkerchief on me in the mornings, because I would expect this question of hers every morning. The handkerchief was the sign that my mom was protecting me. During the later hours of the day and daily tasks, I was on my own. The question if I had got any handkerchief was a sign of indirect tenderness. A direct one would have been embarrassing, something like that did not exit among peasants. Love was disguising as a question. Only thus it would be pronounced in a callous and demanding way, as if it referred to a current manoeuvre in the work process. The fact that she was addressing me on a harsh tone actually emphasized tenderness. I was at the gate every morning, as if once I had the handkerchief, I would have mom too.
     Twenty years later, I was the only one already leaving in town, and working as a translator at a car factory. I would get up at five at dawn, the work would start at half past six. In the mornings, the sound of the anthem in the loudspeakers echoed in the entire factory yard. During the lunch break, there would be the choirs of the workers. But the eyes of the workers that would sit down to grab something to eat were empty like the zinc table, their hands full of car grease, their food wrapped up in newspaper. Before digging the bacon in their mouth, they would grate the typographical ink off with their pocket knife. Two years went by like this according to the typical daily routine, a day no more different than the other. In the third year, it was over with the uniformity of the days. During a week, a huge bony man with sparkling blue eyes – a giant from the Security – came to my office three times, early in the morning. The first time, he insulted me standing, then he left.
     The second time, he took his cardigan off, hanging it on the closet key, and then he sat down. That morning, I had brought some tulips from home and I was just placing them in a vase. He looked at me while I was arranging the flowers and praised me for my unusual knowledge of people. He had an elusive voice. The situation seemed odd to me. I rejected his puffs, asserting that I was skilled with flowers, not with people. In a mean tone he then said he knew me better that I knew tulips. And then threw the cardigan on the arm and left.
     When he came the third time, he sat down and I was standing, for he had placed his suitcase on my chair. I dared not remove it and place it on the floor. He insulted me treating me as if I was as barmy as a bandicoot, like a lazy slut just as dirty as a stray dog. He pushed the vase with tulips to the edge of the table; on the middle of the table he threw a sheet of paper and a ball pen. He bawled: ‘Write!’ Standing I wrote what he dictated to me – my name with my birthday and my address. After that, however, he dictated the following: that whatever the intimacy and family degree, I will tell no one that… and here he pronounced that horrible word: collaborate. I did not write this word. I put the ball pen down and went to the window, looking outside at the street full of dust. It was not pitched – there were only potholes and humped houses. On top of it all, this wretched lane was called Glory Street. On Glory Street, a cat climbed up in the leafless mulberry tree. It was the cat of the factory, the one with the mangled ear. Above it, a morning sun, like a yellowish quiver. I uttered:
     ‘I don’t have the guts.’

“ORICE CUVANT ŞTIE CEVA DESPRE CERCUL DRĂCESC”
- Discurs rostit la primirea Premiului Nobel pentru Literatură, Stockholm, 2009 -

     - Ai o batistă, mă-ntreba mama în fiecare dimineaţă la poarta casei, înainte să ies în stradă. N-aveam. Şi pentru că n-o aveam la mine, mă întorceam iar în cameră şi-mi luam una. Dimineaţa n-aveam niciodată batista la mine, fiindcă în fiecare dimineaţă aşteptam această întrebare a ei. Batista era semnul că dimineaţa mama mă ocroteşte. În ceasurile şi treburile cotidiene de mai tîrziu, eram pe cont propriu. Întrebarea ai o batistă era o tandreţe indirectă. Una directă ar fi fost jenantă, aşa ceva nu exista printre ţărani. Iubirea se deghiza în întrebare. Doar aşa putea fi rostită sec, pe ton poruncitor, ca şi cum s-ar fi referit la o manevră curentă din procesul muncii. Faptul că-mi vorbea cu asprime chiar sublinia tandreţea. În fiecare dimineaţă eram la poartă, o dată fără batistă şi-o a doua oară cu batistă. Abia apoi ieşeam în stradă, ca şi cum, odată cu batista, o aveam cu mine şi pe mama.
     Douăzeci de ani mai tîrziu, eram de mult doar eu singură la oraş, traducătoare într-o fabrică de construcţii de maşini. Mă sculam la cinci în zori, la şase şi jumătate începea lucrul. Dimineaţa, sunetele imnului din difuzor răsunau în întreaga curte a fabricii. În pauza de prînz – corurile muncitoreşti. Dar ochii muncitorilor care se aşezau să mănînce ceva erau goi ca tabla zincată, mîinile lor pline de unsoare de maşini, mîncarea învelită în hîrtie de ziar. Înainte să vîre în gură bucata de slană, răzuiau cu briceagul cerneala tipografică de pe ea. Doi ani s-au scurs aşa după tipicul cotidian, o zi întocmai ca şi cealaltă.
     În cel de-al treilea an, s-a zis cu uniformitatea zilelor. În decurs de-o săptămînă, în biroul meu a venit de trei ori, dis-de-dimineaţă, un bărbat uriaş, ciolănos, cu ochi albaştri sclipitori – un colos de la Securitate.
     Prima oară m-a tratat cu insulte stînd în picioare, şi-a plecat.
    A doua oară şi-a scos canadiana, agăţînd-o de cheia dulapului, şi s-a aşezat. În acea dimineaţă adusesem de-acasă lalele şi tocmai le aranjam în vas. S-a uitat la mine în timp ce făceam asta şi m-a lăudat pentru neobişnuita mea cunoaştere de oameni. Avea o voce lunecoasă. Situaţia mi se părea dubioasă. I-am respins laudele, afirmînd că mă pricep la flori, dar nu la oameni. A zis atunci, răutăcios, că el mă cunoaşte mai bine decît cunosc eu lalelele. Şi-a aruncat canadiana pe braţ şi-a plecat.
     A treia oară cînd a venit, s-a aşezat, iar eu am rămas în picioare, căci îşi pusese servieta pe scaunul meu. N-am îndrăznit s-o iau de-acolo şi s-o pun pe jos. M-a insultat tratîndu-mă de proastă îngrămădită, de puturoasă şi curvă la fel de stricată ca o căţea de pripas. A-mpins vaza cu lalele pînă-n marginea mesei, în mijlocul mesei a trîntit o foaie albă de hîrtie şi-un pix. A răcnit: Scrie! Am scris stînd în picioare ceea ce mi-a dictat – numele meu cu data naşterii şi adresa. Apoi, însă, mi-a mai dictat următoarele: că indiferent de gradul de intimitate sau de rudenie, nu voi spune nimănui că... şi-aici a pronunţat acel cuvînt îngrozitor: colaborez. Cuvîntul ăsta nu l-am mai scris. Am pus pixul jos şi m-am dus la fereastră, privind afară la strada plină de praf. Era neasfaltată – hîrtoape şi case cocoşate. Colac peste pupăză, uliţa asta dărăpănată se mai şi numea strada Gloriei. Pe strada Gloriei, o pisică se cocoţase în dudul desfrunzit. Era pisica fabricii, cea cu urechea sfîrtecată. Deasupra ei, un soare matinal ca o tobă gălbuie. Am zis:
     – N-am caracterul.
     (Read the integral version in CHMagazine no. 5(19)/Sept.-Oct. 2010)

     English version by Mirona Palas
     Proofreaderr: Cristina Costin

5 comentarii:

ali cross spunea...

This was beautiful. I especially loved how you would forget your handkerchief just to allow your mother the opportunity to watch over you, to show her love for you.

María Eugenia spunea...

Hola Daniel:
El texto es magnífico, las imágenes de nostalgia, el simbolismo de una frase aparentemente sencilla dicen mucho de la autora y todavía más cuando piensas en su actitud frente a la palabra "colaborar", cuando atrás de ella hay actos siniestros.
Te mando un cariñoso saludo.

Terra Trevor spunea...

Beautiful telling of this important story.

Daniel Dragomirescu spunea...

The roots of Herta Muller's writings are represented by her dramatic experience as victim of Ceausescu's totalitarian regime.

Tereza spunea...

Belo! Um texto etnoliterário denso de imagens que nos conduz aos dramas humanos.

Abraços

Tereza